The Engineering Manager ensures the delivery of engineering services to an assigned plant. He/she provides leadership and direction in assessing, determining and executing facility capital expenditures and maintenance enhancement needs with significant focus on improving productivity and minimizing labor & overhead costs, as well as minimizing milk, ingredient and packaging waste while assuring highest levels of safety, quality, sanitation and regulatory compliance.
* Ensures mechanical and electrical expertise is available to production and other departments to maintain production systems, utilities, buildings and grounds in a 24-hour 7-day per week operation.
* Collaborates with plant management and corporate staff to utilize equipment to improve employee safety, production quality, equipment reliability and overall equipment effectiveness utilizing Continuous Improvement techniques and a Management Operating Structure (MOS).
* Designs, specifies and commissions capital projects which deliver project scope, on-time and on-budget, meeting agreed to stakeholder expectations.
* Utilizes a computerized maintenance management system to optimize asset utilization through scheduled preventative maintenance.
* Develops, reports and analyzes key maintenance performance indicators as a means to create and implement corrective actions.
* Remains current with latest and emerging industry regulations and codes relative to mechanical and electrical systems design and operation.
* Ensures corporate policies and standards are followed in both capital project implementation as well as daily maintenance.
* Shares best practices within the Maintenance Department.
* Promotes a safe and environmentally sound workplace that complies with all applicable federal, state and local regulations.
* Provides management of employees directly or through supervisors to ensure effective selection, retention, development, disciplinary action and performance management. If a collective bargaining agreement exists, may participate in negotiations, grievances or other contract related activities and discussions.
* Cooperates in a cross-functional manner as a change agent with all departments within the Company.
* Ensures compliance with all Dean Corporate policies, procedures and national suppliers.
* Engages in the typical responsibilities of a manager requiring planning, evaluating, organizing, integrating and delegating.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline required
* A minimum of 5 years experience, with a minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Auto CAD.
* Experience managing capital projects.
* Familiarity with Good Manufacturing Practices.
* Union (for union facilities), Safety, and Workers Compensation experience preferred.
* Experience leading and following Safety/Security Policies and Procedures.
* Ability to follow all Sanitation and Quality Policies and Procedures, and report and follow through on any deficiencies.
* Ability to follow Continuous Improvement (CI) Processes in the Management Operating Structure (MOS).
* Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
* Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs; ability to lead others through change.
* Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
* Skill in organization and prioritization, and attention to detail.
* Strong team player and leader with the ability to work across multiple functions and disciplines.
* Ability to select, coach, develop, engage and retain a team of employees.
* Must be able to pass all pre-employment screens (including drug, background and criminal checks).